Topic Creator

Nisha Gupta

Tags

Self Watering system for plants

Two Young students with Indian background build an innovation to water the plants automatically. 
 
 
 
Pratyush Bansal and Aekas Singh Gulati, who are students of Class 8 in the Global Indian International School (GIIS) in Singapore would spend days, sometimes weeks, away from home.

But, every single time, when they returned to Singapore, along with their parents, they would be greeted with the sight of plants that had withered away or were on the edge of dying.

After this had happened a few times, the duo decided to design an automatic watering system for plants. 

According to Pratysuh, "The innovation is designed for gardening plants, especially for families who travel overseas and are worried that their garden plants would die in their absence. It works on a pumping technique using a motor.
Almost 80% of the device is made from reusable and recyclable materials while the other 20% involves hardware like a motor and a circuit board." 

 

Aekas explains, “The hygrometer which is connected to the circuit board, is placed inside the soil, and once it detects dryness, it sends a signal to the circuit board. The board is connected to a motor placed inside a water tank.

Following detection, the circuit board runs the motor, which pumps the water from the water tank into the dry soil through a pipe. Once the soil is sufficiently moist, another signal goes to the circuit board, which then stops the motor and in turn the pumping."

A two-litre water tank is connected to the system by a water pump motor. The connecting pipe is left in the pot, and when the hygrometer detects less than optimum moisture in the soil, it lets the water pass through the filled tank.

The system can be connected to multiple plant pots and depending upon the water that they consume, the tank needs to be filled manually. On average, a single plant requires the tank to be filled every two weeks or so. 

 

Posted in Creative Ideas on April 10 2019 at 06:34 PM

Disclaimer

Freeofme provides various pages on terms of service involving copyright and the usage of its service. The upload disclaimer explains that by simply clicking the "upload files" key the Show More

Comments (0)

No login